For several years now, I've been wanting to build an arbor in the back corner of our yard and hang a hammock on it. This past week I finally decided to tackle the project.
Last Saturday I dug two of the biggest post holes I've ever dug: a little over three feet deep and a foot in diameter.
I decided to use concrete form tubes for these posts, for no particular reason. I've never used them before. Seemed like a good idea at the time!
My friend, Chris, came over on Monday and helped me mix the concrete and set the posts. The next day I backfilled the holes with a couple extra bags of concrete.
I copied the style of the other arbor in our yard, except I used larger lumber for this one. The hammock requires about a fifteen foot span and it will provide a pretty hefty side load.
I traced the design from the other arbor and used the paper template to draw on the new boards. All I had to work with was a little jig saw that wouldn't go all the way through these big timbers, so I had to trace the pattern carefully on both sides and make my cuts from both sides as well. It was a little tedious but it turned out fine in the end.
My dad came over last night to help with the hard part: hefting the big 18 foot 4x6s onto the top of the posts and securing them with massive decking screws. Luckily David Z was also there to help out. It was a three man job.
The last step was attaching the 2x2s to the top of the beams. Karen Z brought over their tall step ladder, which proved crucial. With the help of my dad and Micah H, we got it done this morning.
I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out and I couldn't wait to take it for a test spin!
I always wanted to have nice soft tall grass growing under the hammock, so when we put in our lawn a couple years ago I planted the extra sod in this corner. I'm going to have to coax it to spread under the hammock a little more, but I think it will provide a nice floor.
Sunday afternoon naps should be even better from here on out!